Generac does not stand behind their products

Last fall I purchased a Generac 14KW Standby Lp-Gas generator, it ran less than 4 hours including exercise time before that rotor and stator failed,resulting in all the power being supplied to one leg of the circuit.

Which in return burnt out your furnace hot water control board, your fax machine, 2 surge protectors and a few other electric items.

Genertac did stand behind the parts and repair of the generator, but would not except any respondiblity of the loss of your personal items.

Generacs respond was " turn in a claim to your insurnace company or you can sue us"

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Helpful? 4 Yes 4 15 No 15
Had the same issue 2 Yes 2
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Apr 20, 2014 #806987

Next time buy a winco generator!! They are the oldest generator company in the USA any by far the best on the market! May cost more upfront... but that's nothing compared to wrecking appliances in the house or any other thing! Easy to work on and even better... most of there employees have been there at least 15 years or more! Generac can't say that at all! Most is only a year or two!

2 0 Reply

Feb 13, 2014 #785098 Old Toronto, Ontario

mine failed with less than 30 hours. stator and brushes. Spent 2000 fixing it. Wow, never would i buy from generac again. Mine was the 17kwh guardian series. It is critical to our backup solution for power on the island. I cant rely on it. sad. Oh, and customer service is brutal (actually non-existent).

Frank Harrison

Dec 16, 2011 #392545

UPDATE: We had a guy from another generator company come out and check things out. He struck me immediately as a very knowledgable professional, while the first guy, now fired, immediately struck me as clueless... (I am also clueless, so I am repeating this back as best I can)
He was surprised about the power surge - it didn't make sense to him, he said that if the voltage regulator was "shot" the generator would just shut down; but he went to investigate. He removed the black panel at the gen where the switches and controls are; he noted something (I forget) when he removed the panel that made him suspect it was never removed as part of routine service since installation. Inside the panel where all the wires are, he noticed that one of the wires connected to the circuit breaker thing was so loose he could tug it easily away by hand. He explained that with the motor's vibration, the wire and terminal may have semi-separated and caused an "arc". This may have created a situation that could "overdraw" too much voltage to one side. (Again, my explan could be flawed.
Going inside, when he removed the Generac circuit box cover, he also noiced another fairly loose wire by the transfer switch. He explained that slight contractions from hot and cold wires, over time can loosed, altho he viewed that as a not likely culprit - he thought the best suspect was the loose terminal outside. (Lastly, it was leaking oil - I thought due to overfilling on my part. He
... Show more

0 3 Reply
Frank Harrison

Dec 13, 2011 #390365

We have a Generac 16KW 5243 generator. Twice this year during extended blackouts (3-4 days), we had power surges that damaged the HVAC equipment, and other areas. Thankfully those cheap surge strips protected a bunch of electronic equipment.

The first time this happened, the generator guy said he couldn't find the problems - so obviously we're looking for a new generator guy. This talent appears to be hard to find, as we hear continued complaints in this relatively new trade.

We also have a good friend nearby who also has a Generac - I don't know the size but I'd guess probably 14-16KW. They also had a power surge in the late October snow outage (4 days) that damaged a bunch of HVAC equipment and other products.

Here's the problem I'm seeing: in the northeast especially, standby Generators are going to have to be able to go anywhere from 2 to 5 days, probably at least twice a year, plus the regular one-day-outage here or there. I'm very concerned that these machines aren't up to that level and there will be continued failures and damages. If cheap strips can "save" equipment, how come the generators can't have safeguards that do that? I've also heard of the power all going to a single "side" and blowing out equipment that way, but why can't that be prevented? I'm not a electrician, so I don't understand why one "side" can't have some safeguard that breaks the flow of power, or at least shuts the generator down, because I
... Show more

May 19, 2011 #288021

Not one generator company that I have read the warranty agreement, cover's damage caused by their product failing. If you can find one post it up.

1 0 Reply

May 05, 2011 #282587

Being a long time Generac dealer, I know that Generac will repair your generator but the warranty does state that they are not responsible for any damage. I have never heard of one doing this. It could be a result of installation also. Let me know if you would like some help with this.

0 1 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Generac. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Generac.
Filing a new complaint about