Update added by user Aug 02
Update #3.August 2, 2016.
Another seized valve at 331 hours. Bent pushrod, no compression. Engine failure #5 is in the log book. The Generator I took to the "Generac Service Center" almost two weeks ago for no electrical output still has not been diagnosed other than "it has no output" and I will get to it maybe by the end of this week.
Great service, Great product Generac.
Two email to customer service in the last week were unanswered.Thanks a lot
Update added by user Jul 26
Update #2.Another exhaust valve seized in a cylinder head today, not a repeat but a different machine.
Bent pushrod again. On site repair performed by me, not a Generac approved service center. I don't have time for your games. July 26, 2016.
I have learned to repair these in less than an hour. I have a supply of pushrods and valve cover gaskets in my truck. Quicker than I can take the 500 lb machine via elevator from the 6th floor down to a truck and load it, it's fixed. The repair is not difficult or expensive for me.
Time consuming and frustrating is appropriate. These engines have a flaw which causes a varnish to build on the exhaust valve stem. This creates the valve seizure resulting in failure. Generac must be aware.
I have had too many failures == 4 out of 10 cylinders have failed in 300 hours. Can you imagine a car company that turned out a product which had 40% failure rate in the first couple thousand miles of use. That product is exactly what Generac has sold to the public. Come on Generac, talk to me.
I have performed your maintenance, justify what is happening. I am an ASE Master Technician, Retired team leader for GMC, Pontiac, Buick, Hyundai and Isuzu dealership, specialist in engine repair with over 25 years of experience. I have the factory certifications and a college degree as an honors graduate in Automotive Technology.
I have been an expert witness in my field but I have never done it for my own behalf.When you upset the wrong crowd, they will love reading this.
Update added by user Jul 23
Forgot to mention that yesterday I bought another generator to take to the jobsite to substitute for the one sitting in the repair shop.Guess what?
It is not a Generac!My leaking oil cooler video won't load.
Original review posted by user Jul 23
Bought 5 GP17500E generators in the spring of 2016 to run welders on a construction project.The failures keep coming.
Have had 3 seize exhaust valves causing major engine damage. One had a coil go out. One had a connector come loose to the anti-diesel solenoid causing a no start. These units are ran 6 days a week, each is not around 300 hours of operating time in about two months.
Currently one is at the Generac service center as it no longer has electrical output. When these special ordered units arrived, one had a leaking oil cooler (see video) one had flat tire, one had dead battery (do they even check tires and batteries before shipping, these were direct shipped from factory!!) 4 out of 5 had incomplete or incorrect hardware kits. I have paid for all work to be completed, generac even refused to ship a replacement oil cooler direct to me. I understand that they want everything taken to their service center.
I don't have time to wait, that is my choice. My complaint is that these units are powered by an engine called "industrial" and they are not industrial quality. Junkerac is an appropriate term. I took a few pics when the first engine stuck a valve.
After the third one it is now a ho-hum event and almost anticipated. It is not the cost as much as we need them to run. Generac won't discuss failures directly with me. The local service center owner states he does not know why the failures are happening.
We are using the generators to power welders for welding structure on the 6th floor of a new hotel in Houston.I can imagine the disappointment of folks who count on these machines to run their home during a loss of power.
More Review Details
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Product or Service Quality|
|Value for money|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Product quality
- Warranty policy
- Will not deal with consumer
- Will not support dealer
- Dealer not happy with product
You May Also Like
- "In July we received a bill from PG&E for our True Up Bill for $1095.16 for the complete years usage. This came as surprise to us that we owed PG&E,..."
- "Horrible horrible...-2 stars...bought 20 kw stand alone generator and 5 yr bumper to bumper warranty...paperwork submitted even have paperwork back from generac saying warranty good till 6/12/19...wont stand behind says..."
- "DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY. This is my nephews FB as i do not have my own however i am in my 50s and Purchased..."
- "I hate and I mean hate this company 17%....really and my car payment is $479. This was the worst mistake ever. This was my first car loan and I was..."
- "I've had two times where I was suppose to have won x2 items through this suppose to be game/survey, which I only was connected to this site through PCH. I..."
- "I bought a red leather couch. It was on sale at $1500. Regular over $2000. I thought I was buying a leather couch that would last for..."
- "Purchased patio door from Lowe's. Went with this product on recommendation by contractor. *** move. Issue one. Door arrived with passive latch system broken. Lowes..."
- "Had purchaised a MKon 2.10.15 which the very next day wasnt working ! I went to ETHOS for replacement bcz i cant accept it which has stopped working the very next..."
- "why is it that when i upgrade defences a few days later i have to upgrade again on same defence once i have maxed it for its town hall level..."