Update added by user Aug 02, 2016
Update #3.August 2, 2016.
Another seized valve at 331 hours. Bent pushrod, no compression. Engine failure #5 is in the log book. The Generator I took to the "Generac Service Center" almost two weeks ago for no electrical output still has not been diagnosed other than "it has no output" and I will get to it maybe by the end of this week.
Great service, Great product Generac.
Two email to customer service in the last week were unanswered.Thanks a lot
Update added by user Jul 26, 2016
Update #2.Another exhaust valve seized in a cylinder head today, not a repeat but a different machine.
Bent pushrod again. On site repair performed by me, not a Generac approved service center. I don't have time for your games. July 26, 2016.
I have learned to repair these in less than an hour. I have a supply of pushrods and valve cover gaskets in my truck. Quicker than I can take the 500 lb machine via elevator from the 6th floor down to a truck and load it, it's fixed. The repair is not difficult or expensive for me.
Time consuming and frustrating is appropriate. These engines have a flaw which causes a varnish to build on the exhaust valve stem. This creates the valve seizure resulting in failure. Generac must be aware.
I have had too many failures == 4 out of 10 cylinders have failed in 300 hours. Can you imagine a car company that turned out a product which had 40% failure rate in the first couple thousand miles of use. That product is exactly what Generac has sold to the public. Come on Generac, talk to me.
I have performed your maintenance, justify what is happening. I am an ASE Master Technician, Retired team leader for GMC, Pontiac, Buick, Hyundai and Isuzu dealership, specialist in engine repair with over 25 years of experience. I have the factory certifications and a college degree as an honors graduate in Automotive Technology.
I have been an expert witness in my field but I have never done it for my own behalf.When you upset the wrong crowd, they will love reading this.
Update added by user Jul 23, 2016
Forgot to mention that yesterday I bought another generator to take to the jobsite to substitute for the one sitting in the repair shop.Guess what?
It is not a Generac!My leaking oil cooler video won't load.
Original review posted by user Jul 23, 2016
Bought 5 GP17500E generators in the spring of 2016 to run welders on a construction project.The failures keep coming.
Have had 3 seize exhaust valves causing major engine damage. One had a coil go out. One had a connector come loose to the anti-diesel solenoid causing a no start. These units are ran 6 days a week, each is not around 300 hours of operating time in about two months.
Currently one is at the Generac service center as it no longer has electrical output. When these special ordered units arrived, one had a leaking oil cooler (see video) one had flat tire, one had dead battery (do they even check tires and batteries before shipping, these were direct shipped from factory!!) 4 out of 5 had incomplete or incorrect hardware kits. I have paid for all work to be completed, generac even refused to ship a replacement oil cooler direct to me. I understand that they want everything taken to their service center.
I don't have time to wait, that is my choice. My complaint is that these units are powered by an engine called "industrial" and they are not industrial quality. Junkerac is an appropriate term. I took a few pics when the first engine stuck a valve.
After the third one it is now a ho-hum event and almost anticipated. It is not the cost as much as we need them to run. Generac won't discuss failures directly with me. The local service center owner states he does not know why the failures are happening.
We are using the generators to power welders for welding structure on the 6th floor of a new hotel in Houston.I can imagine the disappointment of folks who count on these machines to run their home during a loss of power.
More Review Details
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Value for money|
|Product or Service Quality|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Product quality
- Warranty policy
- Will not deal with consumer
- Will not support dealer
- Dealer not happy with product
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "Lawrence Bradbrook and Paul Reynolds were previously the Directors of SKYShades Australia, a Brisbane based business owned by Brisbane Bronco's founding Chairman Barry Maranta and his business partner Forest Lake..."
- "I bought a 16kw Generac Guardian in 2006 from an authorized installer. Within three years, the amount of rust on the steel base and inner steel panels was tremendous. No..."
- "Filtered Carlsbad, Ca water became undrinkable after only 1.5 weeks: NEW 23 cup dispenser and NEW Zerowater filters used. Sterile technique was used during setup; standard lab exclusion..."
- "Fema lies to people and scam people i have been dealing with fema since august everytime i talk to fema its a new excuse of what they need everytime i..."
- " Just returned from a week at the secrets royal beach. Had an outstanding time. Great food,service and staff. The best employee of our entire week was at the beach...."
- "I'd say that 25% of the time the potential customer doesn't look at the bid, BUT when that happens you get your 2 or 3 credits refunded. Overall the leads..."
- "AHP is wonderful at first. The office managed even took me out for beers and to discuss the house. All of that congeniality changed when we actually begin..."
- "I was initially encouraged hiring this company after hiring an independent housekeeper didn't work out. I work two jobs and am often out of the house 18 hours a..."
- "They sound nice when you first call but they have messed up on my order and sent me parts ( not the complete machine) but I do not own the..."